March 26, 2010

Bathroom Inspiration

I know, I know, sounds like a weird blog title. But it’s slow at work and I’m distracted so bare with me. =)

And your bathroom, I think, is a strange place to be “inspired” by…
Nonetheless, it started two days ago.

I bought some new ceramic statues for my living room bookcase thinking I would add some color for spring and summer. Though the items looked good when I purchased them in the store, when I brought them home and put them in my bookcase, I was sadly disappointed.

I wrapped them up and brought them back to TJ Maxx on Wednesday with the SOLE attention of returning and getting my money back. But that Wednesday was an ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS day in Atlanta! I wasn’t quite ready to go back to work and decided to browse around.

Randomly my mind started whirling about all the different things we needed around the house: new silverware set, bathroom towels, wooden cutting board, heavy hangers, etc. etc.

I wondered into the bathroom section to look at towels and spotted a nickel finish towel bar. Instantly I thought of our large master bathroom, which we practically LIVE in, but haven’t touched up as much as we have the rest of the house.



We talked about adding shelves and possibly painting, but had never acted on the inspirations.
I also thought of the fact that we tend to throw towels over the glass shower door because we are missing something…. Yes! You guessed it! A TOWEL BAR! I quickly glanced at the price. With my ceramic pottery exchanges, this towel bar would cost me $4 plus tax! I snatched it up.
This one from Overstock.com is the same finish color, but different style:



So yesterday, my hubby being the Home Improvement superhero that he is (wink!), had our new towel bar up in the bathroom by the time I got home from work. I couldn’t believe how such a simple, inexpensive change made such a DRASTIC improvement!
We had also just started replacing all the cabinet hardware in our house, a few knobs at a time so it wouldn’t damage our wallets. We chose nickel finish squared knobs and have already started on our kitchen cabinets. Inadvertently, the trim on the towel bar would match EXACTLY with the hardware knobs, which is also the same finish as our door knobs. It was all coming together!

Now we realized that our toilet paper holder is NOT nickel. It’s silver. … BOO.
I remembered I had seen a nickel plated toilet paper holder at TJ Maxx too, and it was some ridiculous price- $7 I think! (One below also from overstock.com)



Since our hardware game was getting on point, I started thinking of what other things we could do to spruce the room up. My goal is to create a spa inspired haven that will allow us to maximize our sunken garden tub and play up the stone tiles.
We are not planning to rush out and do all this in one day, but it’s nice to have an established goal to work towards. Plus you get to enjoy little satisfactions constantly as you watch everything piece together!

My Current Checklist:
-New coordinated towels and washcloths- All white
-Wooden shelves over sunken tub



-Bath salts and Apothecary Jars (The beauties below are from Pottery Barn)


-Spa Inspired Artwork [And Nickel Finish Picture Frames for the Wall]

I'm really feeling this photography set by Sondra Wampler! =)




-Replace plastic blinds with heavy wood blinds like the rest of the house
-Scented candles [Taking advantage of the Bath and Body Works Outlet Store 2 miles from my house!]
-New bath rugs that tie into the theme
-A Bad Ass Magazine Rack for our "Throne" Reading Collection (lol)