March 5, 2009

Cyber Cravings

So they’ve really tightened things up on internet surfing at work and I’ve been away for awhile. When I get home I’m too busy with the family to spend a lot of time online. We now only have access to Blogger at work, so I guess this will be my weekday connection to the cyberworld!!

It’s funny I used to check my myspace and facebook religiously each day, but now that I’ve gone 3 weeks with limited access, I don’t miss it at all.

Since I’ve “broken up” with f/b and m/s, I’ve picked up on a new internet addiction! I’ve been scourging news websites, learning as much information as I can! (This is probably much better for my brain than myspace anyways. =] )

I don’t mean DRY news, like an “insurgent bombing” in Iraq (frkn Katt Williams!) or more dismal reports on the economy.
That stuff can get depressing after awhile!

I’ve been finding news bits that grab my attention or relate to things I like.
Here are some cool news stories I’ve run across… Hopefully this is good stuff for you too!

***
Nintendo is coming out with a DSi on April 5th. This DS will have two cameras (one on the outside, and one facing the user), a voice recorder and music player that allow you to record and play your own music . Plus you get access to games on the go from the DSiWare store. I wish we had known about this before we replaced Sarina’s broken DS a couple of weeks ago! The new DS is only $170, which is about $30 more than the current DS model.
Hmm, I might have to get one for myself now…



***
A Sherlock Holmes movie is coming out!
I’ve always been into reading mysteries, as a child Sherlock Holmes was one of my favorite mystery novels. The cast of the movie is incredible, so I think it might be a big hit. It’s set to release Fall 09.

It’s directed by Guy Ritchie (Snatch, Madonna’s Ex), Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man) will play Sherlock Holmes, Jude Law will play Watson, and Rachel McAdams will play RDJ’s love interest.

Guy Ritchie says this will be a very contemporary version of the story since Sherlock Holmes is kind of out of touch with today’s world. I love the way he directed Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels- it will be interesting to see how his directing style portrays a Classic Literary Character.



Other upcoming movie remakes that sound pretty cool:

-The Karate Kid (with Jackie Chan as Mr. Miyagi)

-Conan the Barbarian (no word yet on any actors- but WHO can replace ARNOLD??!! haha)

-He-Man (The only buzz so far is that they REFUSE to use a wrestler as He-Man! LOL)
I’m just thinking of Dolph Lungren’s horrible acting skills in the 80s version of this movie! The director said he wants this He-Man to be remade like Batman was in The Dark Knight, and that it will likely be a trilogy!!

-Back to the Future (no buzz yet on the new Marty McFly or Professor)

-The Last Dragon (the buzz is Samuel L. will play the Shogun of Harlem a.k.a. Sho’Nuff and it will be produced by RZA from Wu-Tang Clan!! HOT!!)




-Terminator 4 (with Christian Bale a.k.a. Batman as John Connor!!)



***
AT&T is doing a new phone trade-up policy?

For now it’s just a rumor, but it looks like AT&T may be doing a phone trade up deal for current customers, kind of like trading in a video game to get a new one. You will get a cash value for the phone you trade in and be able to apply it to your new phone purchase. This would be an AWESOME alternative to having to renew your contract 2 years if you want a new phone, or having to pay full price for a new phone just b/c you already have service.

If this policy comes to life, it is expected to be effective as early as June of this year!! If I read anything else on this, I'll be sure to let my fellow AT&T ppl know!!