March 12, 2009

Snooze Button...

This is day two of Sarina having her own alarm clock and it’s working well so far.
Now she gets up at 6am on her own, turns on cartoons, wakes up Mimi and makes toothbrushes for both of them. It’s a HUGE help to me and her dad in the mornings!

Our previous routine has been a little INSANE. Trying to rush into the shower to get first dibs on hot water, spending 15 mins trying to get the kids to get out of bed, starting coffee, turning on cartoons & other random tasks. I’m normally so rushed I have to put my makeup on while sitting in bumper to bumper traffic on 285. (I know what you’re thinking!! It’s a BAD habit I’m trying to break!!)

I have about an hour and fifteen minute ride to work on a GOOD DAY, so it’s been kinda hectic trying to get the kids ready and get out the door on time. It’s bad enough that I leave at the crack of dawn and it’s still dark when I get on the highway- the last thing I need to do is RUSH.

So we’ve been working on more efficient ways to get out of the house on weekday mornings.

Another bonus- My Gevalia Coffee Maker arrived!!!
Don’t know if you guys have heard of Gevalia, but if you are a coffee drinker- this stuff is A MUST HAVE!! My mom and grandfather have ordered it for years, I’m not sure why I only thought recently to order it for myself.

I’m a lover of flavored coffees, and they have some delicious choices!!! My first order was Irish Crème and Vanilla Nut, though I want to try Caramel next time! Its high quality coffee too, so you get that perfect caffeine boost without the shakes or a headache (like I get from Foldgers coffee- ugh!) Makes me just want to dance around my kitchen and get my day started. =]

You schedule how often you would like to receive a shipment of the coffee and they mail & bill it to you. When you sign up for the service, they send you a FREE Gevalia Brand coffee maker (It’s NICEEEE too- Stainless Steel & Black!), all you have to pay is the shipping- which totals about $15.




The coffee maker also has an automatic setting on it, which my goal is to figure out tonight. That way I can have my coffee set up the night before, and then precisely at 6am my morning java will start brewing!!

Eventually I want to get to the point where I can have time to make breakfast for everyone, though I don’t know how much earlier I can wake up!! I never figured out how my mom managed to get up at 5am and have her hair curled and bacon cooking by the time me and my brother got out of bed. As a working mom myself now, I can appreciate the little things she did for us like that. I’m lucky if I have time to grab a pop-tart running out the door!

If you guys have any tips or fool-proof methods on how to get going in the mornings (with kids)- I would love to hear them!